Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Giving a penguin/lizard another try....

It has taken multiple attempts, but I think I've finally figured out OpenSuSE and its installation. Yes I'm trying linux again. On my previous attempt this spring, my main concern was my tv tuner. As in it worked fine in Windows, but Linux wouldn't even recognize that I even had one. My solution was to pull my old tuner from my other computer and put it in. Windows initially recognized both cards, but to avoid a resource conflict, I disabled the second tuner in windows. A three-way splitter insures a signal to all the tuners from my cable box.

Ok, so if you want to install OpenSuSE Linux on my computer, experience has taught me a few insights:

1. Make sure you have enough space partitioned for your root partition. You'll use up a lot of space if you do a pack-rat installation like im prone to do.

2. Do your initial install off the DVD only. Inevitably, you're going to hose it within the first five minutes, and this'll at least save you some bandwidth (Comcast does meter service....).

3. Once you install, before you do anything else, configure the tv tuner. And then make sure you save the configuration. Then you add the online repository (I prefer http://ftp.osuosl.org). Normally, instinct tells me to instal the video driver first, but for some reason, the tuner won't work any other way.

4. Note you can install the Catalyst driver. Unlike windows, this'll take a few restarts to fully configure, and even then, one has manually edit the xorg.conf file. But that is a whole other post.

But in the end, after all the trouble, I'll have my system with a full dual display, a working tv tuner, and a printer. And it'll do anything that I could do in windows.

And one last thing: to reboot into windows, you have to turn the computer off, then unplug the network cable, then turn the power strip off and on, then reconnect the network cable, and power it on. This because of a known issue with my network card. And since I've an integrated lan adapter in my motherboard, I'd basically need to buy another computer to fix it, and I don't have enough money (my brother was actually the one who put up the money to buy it)...

No comments: