Friday, June 17, 2011

Well this just sucks!

My previous post about the graphics driver crashing linux may not have been all that correct. While I was in XP tonight, it suddenly shut down on me. I know it's not a software crash (xp by default reboots), so it must be a hardware issue. Not a Good Thing. So, I boot into the BIOS, and notice the CPU's temperature was close to the boiling point of water (twice what the motherboard was...). Pulling the side of the tower off, I noticed the heatsink was caked with dust, and it was pretty well insulated from the cooling fan. So I tried to pull the fan off to get the dust off the heatsink, and I end up taking the heatsink off. I dusted it, and now it's not securely fixed to the processor.

So now I've a computer that won't even boot into Bios. Payday is up tomorrow, maybe I can swing by Worst Buy and get some thermal compound. Or barring that, I can start sucking up for a new computer...

1 comment:

IgwanaRob said...

If it makes yo feel any better, I no longer have a working computer at home (laptop died again last week, and my video card started smoking yesterday in my last working desktop - thought there was a fire in my bedroom!)

I just bought my first vehicle in 10 years (99 Jeep Cherokee Sport), which means I no longer have spare money to buy a new machine so I'm stuck using a very entry level work laptop at home :-p