Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Don’t spill coffee on your keyboard!

A couple of weeks, I took a day off from my now successful job search. And I brewed a pot of coffee in the big coffeemaker in the kitchen. And so I brought a big cup of joe into my room and sat down to the computer. During my misadventures on the internet, I had to get up (probably to pee). And in doing so, I turned around my big office chair. And knocked over the cup of coffee. It spilled everywhere. My desk took most of it, and being over 16 years old, it just added to the patina. some of it splilled on to the tower, but by then I had grabbed the paper towels, so damage was limited to a slightly sticky power button. It still works. Right underneath that was my Blu-Ray drive, and there was no damage there.

And then some spilled on the keyboard. Several of the keys were very sticky, and I pried one of them off to clean it, and when I stuck it back on, it just sounded differently when pressed. Needless to say, it was time to replace it. I didn’t need to upgrade it (I use the logitech cordless wave), in fact I didn’t want to. So, I had to bite the bullet, log on to Newegg and order a replacement. Which arrived today. The one good thing about doing an exact replacement in computer hardware is that there no new drivers to deal with…

No comments: