Thursday, January 18, 2018

The growth of data….

When I got my first computer, I specified a CD burner when I ordered it. And I could back everything up onto a couple of 700 megabyte CDs. Then the amount of CD’s I needed  grew, and though I added a second hard drive, I still needed about 20+ CD’s to do a system back-up.

So I bought a DVD burner, and larger and larger hard drives. Eventually, I became adept at using my second hard drive to back up my stuff. There were times though (like when I was partitioning both hard drives) when I had to back up everything to external media. I could do everything to 6 DVD’s at first. And the last time I did a DVD back-up set, it was 8 DVDs.

Then with my second computer, I switched to using my second hard drive for backing up my data (and I would pop the side of the tower off and unplug the drive so the data wouldn’t be corrupted if I had a system meltdown). I then bought an external USB hard drive enclosure, and I started using them exclusively for backing up. Archives were now in the size of 100-200 gigabytes.

At the time my second computer died, I was using 3 1 terabyte hard drives (2 in the tower, and 1 in the usb). After I got my current computer, I put a 4 terabyte drive in the tower, and I started using a 2 terabyte drive in the back-up drive, which was now backing up my laptop, too. Then, due to a sizing mistake when I visited Newegg last summer, I got an extra 4 terabyte, which is what I use now.

I’ve gone from a couple of 700 megabyte CD’s when I bought my first computer, to 1.2 terabytes that I copied over last night. And I have another 600 gigabytes that I might need….

No comments: