Saturday, December 26, 2015

It is over….

Not Christmastime. I traditionally celebrate it through the New Year. I’m Old Skool. I don’t gear up mentally for Christmas untill about 12 days before, and then up to 12 days afterward, gradually winding down around New Years. The madness of Black Friday is a part of Thanksgiving (which lasts until the turkey runs out)…
But I digress. What’s over? My vacation. This week, I took a vacation day on Christmas Eve to allow for travel to the Big Bryant Family reunion (I carpool to my siblings on Christmas Day). And after Christmas Eve and Christmas day, I took another vacation day to recover (this was all planned out in September, and approved in December).
So for Christmas Eve, at the Big Bryant Family reunion, there was much food to be consumed. An aunt brought her seven layer dip (one year she didn’t, and I think she almost got disowned). There was the one cousin who’s forehead I have to polish for good luck. And lots of food. About 3 insulin shots’ worth…
Christmas morning, we went to a sisters house. There were cats (this sister is the designated Crazy Cat Lady, but Rufus and Princess Bernice didn’t mind the attention). And the hyperactive dogs in the backyard. All of whom were very happy to see me. And much food. And much leftovers that I’m still munching on…
For the first time since 1998, I actually put a present under the tree for my brother. I got him a gift card to Worst Buy, and a desk lamp. He got me a complete bedding set (2 set of sheets & pillowcases, and a comfortor). I think he wants me to make my bed. Christmas Eve at the Family reunion, we do it white elephant style. I put my present under the tree, drew my number and waited my turn. My turn came, and I got a serving tray. Which I traded to a cousin for hot cocoa set and a coffee mug. At my sisters, I got:
  • 2 Target gift cards. This is what I usually get from my parents. Either this or Wally World. I don’t mind a bit. I can put these away, and get what I need later.
  • A lego minifig. I haven’t touched legos in well over 25 years. I need to rectify that.
  • My Festivus hat. Forget Christmas. Festivus is where it’s at. Though my brother insists on an actual Christmas tree, so no Festivus Pole. And this year, the only chance I got to Air the Grievances came in a Twitter troll of Brother Charles. Maybe next year. A donation has been made on your behalf to the Human Fund…
  • Gloves. That are touchscreen compatible. They will come in handy.
  • A copy of The League of Regrettable Superheroes: The Loot Crate Edition. I think I may have to sign up for Loot Crate. But that will have to wait for January’s finances to resolve themselve first.
For giving gifts this year, I cheated. Everybody got gift cards to Best Buy. Except my brother, who got the aforementioned lamp. And come Monday, he’s getting a shiny new iPhone 6 Plus.
I hope you enjoyed your Christmas/WinterPaganHoliday/DayOff/Festivus/Hanukkuh…. Just remember it’s not over yet. There’s still New Years….

No comments: