Thursday, December 31, 2015

2015–Another Strange Trip

New Years Day is right around the corner. Due to my work schedule (I have to be up and dark thirty tomorrow morning), I will probably be well asleep by the time the evelator goes up the Space Needle…

When I comes to New Years Resolutions, I only have one this year: not to have any. If I need to improve, I ought to be doing it right away, not put it off till the next holiday. I also need not publicly state my resolutions. There are just some things that need to be kept to themselves.

Much happened this year:

  • My employer put me on a fixed schedule. I don’t know how long it will last, but I will enjoy it while it lasts. Sometimes good things happen when you just show up. While I’ve tried transferring to a location that’s closer, that’s not going to happen. But I just have to make the best of what’s around. And what I have is a good thing.
  • I got the Xfinity X1 operating system. This in an of itself was the subject of a few entries. But in the end, it works.
  • I learned the hard way that if you go full time enroll in the company health care plan while you still can. Paying full price for health insurance is no fun.
  • I went through 5 pairs of shoes. On at least more that one occaision, I had to call in sick because of foot problems. Not really diabetic related, but more because of ill-fitting shoes. I can find a good pair at Wally World for a cheap price, but they would only last for a month. Finally last September, I went to Famous Footwear and two pairs of not cheap shoes. And I haven’t had any probems since. And with two pairs, I can alternate between shoes if I get my feet wet.
  • I tried my hand at applying for another job, and even got an interview lined up, only to have to cancel it due to aforementioned foot problems.
  • Discretion is still the better part of valor. Some things I wanted to say here, but I held my peace.
  • Working 12 and 15 days straight. But my former boss got to see Disneyland. And I realized I still like Mrs. Fields’ Cookies…

What am looking for this year:

  • Enrolling in the company health insurance. For most of the past year, I was paying full price for a Bronze level plan. And in addition to the full price premiums, it took me over 6 months to pay off a 20 minute doctors check up. With my current employer, the gold level plan will cost less than what I was paying for Bronze. I’ve heard some gripe about the level of coverage provided, but then again, I’ve gone without coverage at all (no fin if you’re a type I diabetic).
  • 2 weeks’ paid vacation. I only got 7 days’ vacation this year, because my promotion to full-time was in the middle of the fiscal year, so my vacation was pro-rated. All apologies to my former boss, but my vacation this year will be me sitting on my ass…
  • Maybe the Mariners having a winning season….

Stuff I’m planning on this year:

  • Picking one operating system for my computer and sticking with it. Which means Windows 10, most likely.
  • Paying down my credit cards. Life in general is better when you’re debt levels are down…
  • Cleaning my room. I have an easy chair in my room. Once upon a time, I used to sit in it. I need to take my chair back….

Yes 2015 was a strange trip. Were it anything other, though, and I would be seriously concerned. Here’s to 2016 being another strange trip…

No comments: