Sunday, December 20, 2015

Still the Worst. Customer. Service. Ever.


Technorati Tags:
You may have read about my issues with Comcast here and here. But I have now fixed my issues for good. Here’s how I did it:
After my last post on the matter, Comcast finally cancelled my home phone service. I still wasn’t thrilled with my service at the time, but it was somewhat bearable. I could live with it. I didn’t have a DVR in my room, but if I used the TV Remote Android app, I could have a DVR function. Fast forward to December 4 when a Comcast salesman came door-to-door. BTW, it is posted no soliciting/no trespassing at my apartment complex. I was at work at the time, but my brother was at home, and made it clearly known that it was my account, and I was the only one authorized to make any changes to it. This salesman made some entries on his iPad, ostensibly to update my address, and went on his way. I didn’t know anything was up until I came home from work, and saw his business card on my mail pile. I didn’t think anything of it until the following Saturday when I got an order confirmation emailed to me, regarding my ‘new’ order, along with installation fee. I hit the roof.
Needless to say, the next Monday, I went to the Federal Way cable store (given my previous experiences with the reps, perhaps this wasn’t the best of choices) and asked for the manager. And I was told he wasn’t there. So I left. I then reached out to Xfinity via Facebook, and finally got someone with more than two neurons. They had to do some research, but they discovered that my account had been closed and reopened (most likely the door-to-door sales moron had churned my account to make his commision). But in doing so, he knocked out the TV service in the living room, and took out what little DVR I had in my room. Fortunately, Comcast was able to recover my account. And they gave me a $100 bill credit (something possibly also to do with being billed for 4 months for phone service after I returned the equipment). Anyway, I still didn’t have any DVR whatsoever in my room, and it was finally decided to dispatch a tech to see what’s wrong.
And that was this morning. Cable guy came out. First thing I mentioned was the possibilty of a filter (something a friend of mine who is a Comcast installer mentioned). Tech checks out the Comcast box, and lo! there is a filter there that shouldn’t have been. So he took that out (had that not been there, I would’ve never had any of these problems with DVR issues to begin with. Then he troubleshot why my box wasn’t DVR’ing, and it turned out he just needed to reset it. With the filter taken out, I could’ve gone back to a satellite box, but I decided to keep my second master box, mainly for the voice operated remote. And the clock…
But my service is now working again. I’m happy with it. I’m definitely not happy with the trouble that Comcast put me through, though. If the first phone call I had placed was not routed to an offshore call center (or even if that first rep that I called spoke English), if the rep at the cable store had not given me the high-pressure sales pitch, orhad he not treated me like trash when I decided that I didn’t want home phone service. Or had they cancelled my home phone service when I returned my equipment, instead of telling to call the loyalty line (which, btw, when I did finally make the call, they were unable to do). It’s like what the tech said when he came to my house, if they just gave the customers what they wanted, instead of trying to sell them what they needed. Comcast has some very good services. But their downfall is their customer service….

No comments: