Monday, July 07, 2008

Clearing up the clutter

Bought a wi-fi card for my computer today.  Comcast told me that the cable modem had to go out to the living room outlet our else we would continue to have connectivity issues.  So I get it installed, and when I determined that it works I took out the Ethernet card (still a good card, and I’m going to keep it.  It’s just if I'm not going to use it, I'm not going to keep it installed).  And I moved the modem and the router out to the living room.  So now my new apartment is exclusively Wi-fi.  And now that I got the modem and router out of my room, I have to think of how uncluttered it looks.  I've always had the cable modaem and networking hardware in my room, and it always looked like a jungle with multiple lines stringing in and out of my room.  Behind my computer is still a jungle, but it's less of a mess than before.

Edit:  After noticing the jungle of cables in the living room, I decided to bring everything back into my room.  My roommate never noticed any lag in connectivity (he uses wi-fi exclusively).  I did notice, however, a dramatic slowdown vs. when I was wired.  ANd i figure if it’s all going to stay in my room, it might as well be a wired connection.  Back to square one.  But at least I have wi-fi now, and should the need ever arise again, it can be moved….

Technorati Tags: ,,

No comments: