Saturday, August 27, 2011

As soon as…

As soon as I get one tower upgraded to something workable, the other one tries to die….

Like I posted Monday, I got the processor situation in my Win9X tower upgraded (I ‘borrowed’ a couple of power cables and a monitor from my main WinXP tower so I could see if the other tower works. Then on Wednesday, my brother’s boss dropped her computer off for me to look at. From what she was telling me, I thought that it had given up the ghost, and was merrily frolicking amongst the Beer Volcanoes and Stripper Factories. SO, again, I pulled the monitor and the power cables from my main tower, and started analyzing it. It turned out that her main issue was the video cable had come loose. Still, I ran Windoze Update on it, and made sure she had a decent AV. While that was going on, I tried running my main tower with only one monitor, and I noticed it wasn’t booting normally (the splash screen was just hanging, and the colors weren’t all there). Oh shit. I put all the hardware back together (thinking that it was just because I was trying to run it on only one monitor when 2 had been installed. And it wasn’t booting. Couldn’t even get to the POST. Finally, I got it to POST, but then the hard drive wouldn’t spool up. Finally, I had to give up on it, as it was 1 on the morning, and I had to get up a 5 to work a 13 hour shift.

I get home from work tonight, and give it one more try. For some reason tonight, I was able to successfully boot off the XP cd, and get it into recovery console. Right now, I have chkdsk running, and it’s 57% percent complete. This may take a while, as it’s a 1 terabyte drive.

I’m so grateful that I bought my laptop the last time my computer had issues. But on the bright side, I know now how to change a slot 1 processor, as well how to re-seat a socket 775 chip…

No comments: