Saturday, August 13, 2011

So I'm still running Froyo on my phone....

And I have absolutely no motivation to upgrade to Gingerbread. Aside from the obvious fact that I'm still running an HD2, which wasn't originally designed to run Android. But I think I've been through that before....

Since April, I've been running Roms by CMYLXGO. First I was just running stock, then I figured out that since the roms were just basically zip files, I could customize them with my own software selections (and save space by taking off programs I didn't use). But I realized that space was still an issue. When I was running droid off the sd card, I usually had an entire gigabyte to install my apps too. When I was running just straight nand (everything off the phone memory), all the software ran off the phone memory, and space ran out really quick. Then I switched back to Rafdriod. I used to use it before I was using cmylxgo. Basically, it's a stock Desire HD adapted to the hd2. But since it's also written for the european version of the hd2 (which only has 512 megs of memory), it has a little trick up it's sleeve: you can partition your sd card, and have a fat32 partition for your memory card & have a ext3 partition for your phone's data partition. Space is no longer an issue. With a 2 gigabyte partition on my memory card, I have as much available space on my phone that I had with the MyTouch 4g. Without the ticking time bomb of a possibly defective emmc chip....

There is progress being made in developing a Gingerbread rom for the hd2, but there are still a couple of bugs in it. Nothing really big, but it's enough to keep me from upgrading. If it works, I really don't see a reason to try and fix it.

Tomorrow, it'll be a year since my boss sold me his HD2. Though I should give the shout-out to his wife, who bought it for him in the first place (which wouldn't have happened if I hadn't shown her my Touch Pro 2 when I bought it). And I'm still happy with it.

No comments: