Monday, August 22, 2011

It’s alive?

About a year and a half ago, my former district manager at work gave me his uber-old computer, a 265 MHz Pentium II. He had upgraded hos computer to a laptop, and it was just sitting in his closet. I casually asked how much he wanted for it, and he gave it to me outright. It sat in my room for a year, and I decided to restore it. If I’m going to run Win98-WinME, then I’m going to try to get a decent processor. Looked on Ebay, and there were a shit-load of cheap Pentium II Slot 1 processors available. Ordered one, it arrived today.

A couple of months ago, my boss offered me his old computer desk and monitor (he, too, went from tower to laptop). The computer desk works, but the monitor is a dud. Pulled one of the monitors off my main tower, and the slightly less-old tower works, though I can’t get into the BIOS (and it just sees a 500 MHz Pentium Pro, instead of a 700 MHz PIII). But it still works. With my boss’s computer desk, I’m trying to set a separate computer desk in my room. And along with this, I’ll have a separate work station set up, so when I get called upon to fix a tower, it can just be dropped off at my house, and I can leave the rat’s nest behind my main tower alone….

No comments: