Monday, August 08, 2011

Just another sucky Monday morning….

It’s a day off, but I ordered a stick of RAM for the tower last week, and Worst Buy is shipping brown. They said anytime betwwen 9 and 7, so I set the alarm to get up at 9. Pulled the laptop out to the living room, and the Wi-Fi is out (as laptop was unable to connect to the apartment’s secured wi-fi network). And come to think of it, my Android Powered HD2 was unable to connect as well. SO I go back to the tower (it has a wired connection) and I start to play with the settings. Rebooted both the router and modem. Reflashed the  router firmware. Restored factory setting. Twice. And eventually I got the wi-fi to work. DNS is still buggy, though (I think that my be an issue on Comcast’s end, as I did verify that I’m using the right DNS servers…).

While I was writing that last paragraph, Fat Bastard’s Co-Workers showed up with my delivery: a 1 gig stick of ram for the tower. I don’t think I’ll be putting anymore in it. It already has 2 gigs in, and a 1 gig video card, and the maximum it can support is 4. No, I didn’t do this for XP. I’m doing it for an eventual upgrade to windows 7, which is also why I’m setting up my win9x tower. And a nice off-shoot to setting up the separate win9x tower is that’ll I’ll a separate monitor, mouse, keyboard, and a workspace to I bring friends’ towers home to fix them (and maybe charge them). I don’t really mind most of the time having to fix their computers. I do mind having to pull my tower out & disconnecting all the cables, and then remembering to reconnect them. Why can’t people just leave my rat’s nest alone?

No more Linux. I can get the tv tuner to initially work, but once I install the Catalyst driver, all I get is a buzzing noise. Not even a window. It’s not worth the frustration. I guess this means I can pull the 2nd TV tuner out. I had disabled in Windows. It was just there for Linux….

EDIT: Who knew that to fix the balky router I just has to power-cycle the surge protector it and the cable modem were plugged into?

EDIT II: It’s confirmed that my supposed ‘n’ router is crap. Apparently my roommate has had nothing but problems with it since I set it up, but he never told me…. So we’re back to the old one. And I moved the modem/router out to the living room, so we can all get the same signal…

No comments: