Friday, May 05, 2017

Had a Burrito today.

It’s Cinco de Mayo. I don’t celebrate it. It’s not even the Mexican Independence Day (that would be the Grito de Dolores, in September). In America, it’s an occaision to drink Margaritas and Coronas. Which I don’t miss (I quit drinking over 3 years ago). It’s Friday. Not Tuesday, so no Tacos today (though I never really followed Taco Tuesday either. But I wanted some Mexican today. So I had a burrito at lunch.

Cinco de Mayo commemorates a Mexican victory in a war with the French that they eventually lost. It wouldn’t have happened at all were it not for the Civil War (think Monroe Doctorine). It wasn’t Mexican Independence (Mexico had long been independent). It was also during this war that another battle took place that is significant to the French Foreign Legion. One war, two diffferent sides…

No comments: