Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Hello World! Well, Sorta…

Hello World. As you might be able to tell, my replacement motherboard arrived Monday. And I installed it Monday night. Wasn’t quite as difficult as the first time when I built it. The most difficult part was cleaning the thermal paste off the processor (on a side note, it occurred to me Sunday night that I might not have any, so I placed a pickup order for it from Worst Buy when I was on the bus to work. When I got home, I saw the extra tube I had from the last time I installed my processor, and so I’m not going to pick it up, and it will be automatically refunded to me after a week).

Going by the rule that if I need to replace it, then I’m going to upgrade it I went from a X370 chipset to a X570 chipset. And also I needed to quit Windows 7 cold turkey. Every time I try it, I have to wipe and reinstall everything. And the last time I tried it, I couldn’t even boot the system into BIOS. And the X570 is definitely not compatible with it. So this way, I’ll have to stay on Windows 10.  I also suspected my SSD boot drive was kapoot as well. So I upgraded that. I was going to go with a PCI 4x4 m.2 SSD (use your Google-Fu to figure that out if you have to), but I realized that my processor (still running a Ryzen 7 2700X) didn’t support PCIE 4, so I ordered another PCIE 3x4. But I did upgrade to a 2TB drive. And I still have my 3 8tb HDD’s.

The RAM, video cards and DVD drives remained the same. Yes, if I have to replace it, I’ll upgrade it. But then again, if it works, then don’t try to fix it…

Software-wise I bought an OEM license for Windows. I figure if I’m replacing the motherboard, then Microsoft thinks that I’m getting a brand new computer (remember I replaced the processor last year). Went with the OEM license because I’m building it myself, and I’m my own tech support. The one thing that did surprise me is that I was able to install both Nero and CyberLink without any issues.Probably because they apparently activate when I use them, and I never did…

Well, let’s see how long this lasts…

No comments: