Thursday, August 19, 2021

Yet Another Vacation Update….

Looking at the specs for my forthcoming motherboard (based on the AMD X570 chipset), I realized that my current processor (Ryzen 7 2700X) does not yet support PCIE 4x4 SSDs (use your Google-Fu if you can’t understand what I just wrote). I’ve already ordered and already received a PCIE 4x4 drive, thinking that I’d upgrade. Since this was my mistake I’m not going to return it (No need to hold the eBay merchant responsible for me not looking at the details). I’ll just hold until I upgrade my processor.

Having said that, I do have concerns about carrying over my old PICE 3x4 SSD that I was using with the old motherboard. It might have failed, and there is one other concern: a heatsink. The new motherboard has a heatsink specifically for the m.2 drives. And my old SSD already has a heatsink on it, and I don’t want to deal with peeling it off.

So, I just ordered a new one. This time I’m going from a 1 TB to a 2TB. And both m.2 slots are fully compatible with PCIE 3x4 as well. So, when I can afford a new processor, I can still use it. In addition to my 3 8TB old skool hard drives.

Another concern is a lack of wi-fi on the motherboard. Fortunately, the literature prominently mentioned that it had a slot for the same Intel wi-fi card. So it has been ordered and recieved already…

Today on my vacation will be a trip to Wally World. I need insulin. And there will be an attempt to reset my circadian rhythm back to something compatible with work. Basically no more 4 hour naps….

No comments: